|Brown lentil||1 cup|
|Small pasta||1 cup|
|Onion (sliced)||2 large|
|Vegetable oil ( to fry the onion)||1/2 cup|
|Flour ( to cover the onion)||2 tablespoons|
|Tomato chili sauce :|
|White vinegar||2 tablespoons|
|Vegetable oil||2 tablespoons|
|Red hot chili paste (shatta) or tobasco||according to taste|
|Salt and black pepper||according to taste|
|Tomato paste||2 tablespoons|
Koshary is a traditional Egyptian meal that consists best combination of rice, small pasta, spaghetti, brown lentils, chick peas, garlic sauce and a spicy tomato chili sauce, all topped with fried onions.
It is sold from carts by street vendors, in restaurants or even made at home and each is considered a different taste experience.
- Cook the rice and set aside.
- cook pasta and set aside.
- cook brown lentil then drain it and set aside.
- Fry the sliced onion (that covered with flour to be crunchy) and drain on kitchen paper.
- To prepare the tomato sauce, blend tomatoes in blender.
- In a saucepan cook garlic cloves in vegetable oil just little bit and pour the blended tomato, tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar and red hot chili paste, and let simmer for 30 minutes, turn off then add the white vinegar at last.
- Now to serve you need to combine all cooked ingredients, rice, pasta, lentil, chickpeas and put on top the fried onion.
- Serve it hot with tomato chili sauce.